Serco was founded in the UK in 1929 and is an FTSE top 250 company managing over 500 contracts worldwide. Employing over 50,000 people, they operate internationally across four geographies: UK & Europe, North America, Asia Pacific and the Middle East and they are now looking to add a Desktop Support Apprentice to their team based in Swindon.
Salary, Hours & Benefits
- £14,000 per annum
- Monday to Friday 9 am – 5.30pm
- 20 days holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Length of service holiday increases
- Serco Benefits
There are career progression opportunities available upon completion of the programme. You, along with your employer, may progress to a Level 4 programme, and take your training even further.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Desktop Support Technician Apprentice will be working within a team to provide effective IT Support to the Defence Academy IT Systems!
Typical roles and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Ensure that desktop related incidents are resolved quickly and efficiently, ensuring that service level agreements are met
- Provide 1st and 2nd line support to staff and students
- Assist in the preparation of Defence Academy laptops
- Undertake configuration and support of client operating systems & software
- Printer and peripheral maintenance and repair
- Preparation, rollout and movement of desktop equipment
- Keeping asset databases up to date of any changes
- Basic system administration tasks in relation to user accounts
- Support Defence Academy remote sites, including location visits
- Assist in IT related projects as directed by the Desktop Support Team Leader
Full support and guidance will be provided by both the employer and training provider throughout the apprenticeship.
Desired Skills & Competencies
- Attention to detail
- Strong telephone confidence and manner
- Good customer service and communication skills at all times
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including IT, English and Maths
- Capable of working in a pressurised environment
- A logical thinker and problem solver
- Passion for IT Support
- Able to manage own workload in a timely and accurate manner
- Manage own workload in an accurate and timely manner
About the Employer
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, and healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
For more information about Serco, please visit their website at the below address:
Location & Travel
Located in Shrivenham, public transport links are a short distance away and allow access to the surrounding areas such as Swindon and Faringdon.
Training to be Provided
If you are successful in securing this role, you will be enrolled in one of our apprenticeship programmes. Follow the link below for the programme applicable to this role:
Please click here
We’re always looking for enthusiastic people to add to our talent pool: at Baltic, we believe people are more than a list of skills, so even if you don’t feel like you tick every box – get in touch with us! Our apprenticeships will teach you all the skills you need to succeed anyway!
Why choose an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are a great way to get the qualifications and experience needed to start your career. Combining technical training with work experience, becoming an apprentice is the first step to a recognised career path. The digital sector will only continue to grow and an apprenticeship with Baltic will enable you to join this diverse, fast-moving and exciting industry, putting you at the forefront of tomorrow’s world. If you’re ready to earn more, start your apprenticeship with Baltic Training today, apply below.
Baltic Training is one of the only apprenticeship training providers that offer a completely tech-focused, tech-driven training solution. We help people transform their knowledge and passion into skills that employers need.
If this sounds like the role for you, get in touch! Once we receive your application, one of our team will be in touch to help you with the next stage. In the meantime, if you want to get a head start on the other applicants, expand your knowledge with the links provided!
Residency eligibility applies to this vacancy. You must be a British or European Economic Area (EEA) citizen and have been resident in the UK or EEA country for the past 3 years. Residency rules and some exceptions can be found here.